This is the story of our life and the 40 little toes we have to love. Our quiver is full!

Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior’s hands. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them. Psalm 125:3-5






Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Furry friends

Well, I have been asked to please update my blog. I have not put anything out lately because I feel like it is more of the same - sunshine, swimming, school... It really is a fabulous life that we are living here so far. But, we have been up to a few things so I will give you a little news and some photos.

Last week, I was lucky enough to meet up with a local Aussie here who is the cousin of a friend's friend... got that? We had a great time meeting in person and enjoying the beautiful zoo.


Speaking of animals, we had a little friend visit us last week at our house. Now, before we moved, many of you were kind enough to share spider horror stories with me - making us feel very comfortable and at peace about moving to Australia! When we arrived, the relocation company gave us a lovely spider chart complete with magnets to easily place it on your fridge. (The kids have become quite the experts. Constantly checking the chart for every spider they see and being sure they can correctly identify it!

I did spend the first few weeks here worried that one of the little ones would get bit by a spider and I would not know it. The outlook for some of those bites is pretty grim... " may cause horrific ulceration to skin" or "one of the world's deadliest spiders" or "enlarged head and fangs, deep painful bite." It really is a wonder we sleep at night! So, when I opened the front door the other night to put my milk cooler out (for our morning delivery), imagine my shock when I was greeted by the HUGEST spider I have ever seen!


Now it may be hard to tell but this baby was about 4 inches across. I quickly slammed the door and ran to my spider chart for identification. Fortunately I found that it was probably just a huntsman and it is "timid, and rarely bites. May wander indoors." PHEW! So I went back out and shooed the spider away- I was not happy to go to bed with it still looming around my front door. True to the chart, I just had to walk near it and it scurried its way right off the porch and back into the bushes. My first spider crisis averted!

No comments:

Post a Comment