I flew out Friday afternoon and was scheduled to arrive in Singapore at 5 pm. All was on time and looking good. We started our initial descent into Changi Airport. And then, we turned. There has been an accident on the runway. We would circle. We circled. Twice. We are now out of fuel and will be diverted as Changi airport is closed. They may be sending us to Kuala Lumpur. Suddenly my short weekend getaway was getting very short. In the end, Singapore Airlines landed us at a naval airport and I had the privilege of being on the first A380 to ever land on the base. Oh joy! I then had the privilege of waiting 3 hours to be refueled so that we could then take the 10 minute flight back to Changi airport. In the end it was just a plane that went of the runway and caused all the chaos. Fortunately, I was off the plane and at the hotel by 10 pm. Just in time for a very late dinner. Lucky for me, Singapore never sleeps!
We had a fun weekend. Lots of shopping, lots of eating, lots of just taking in the sights. We ate a few local treats like chili crabs and pepper crabs. I also had the famous chicken rice and last of all I tried durian cendol. As expected, the durian dessert smelled like stinky feet and, well, tasted like it too. Glad I can say I tried it, but I will never indulge again!
Aside from the local goodies, we indulged in the tourist goodies as well. No trip to Singapore is complete without a Singapore Sling from Raffles hotel. It was yummy (as it well should be for $32 a piece). Raffles was decorated beautifully for Christmas just like the rest of downtown Singapore.
Raffles outdoor bar - not the long bar with the famous sling.
What a treat coming from Sydney where Christmas lights are hard to find. Those of you that know me, know how I love Christmas decorations. This was a real treat!
The weekend was lots of fun. Surprisingly, I barely missed my kids. Or maybe not so surprising at all... A weekend where I could shower alone, eat what I want, when I want, and just have adult time was just what I needed. We won't wait 7 years before we do it again! Oh, and in case you were wondering, the kids were fine and the babysitter still speaks to us. Life is good!
You should have seen the look on my face, seeing the picture of that Durian MUSH. Gahhhhh! I have heard about that stuff - that hotels don't allow durian fruit because of how badly it stinks. I knew it had to be pretty gross when I was watching an episode of "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" one night and he violently gagged on Durian while trying it for the first time. This, coming from the guy who has eaten raw beating frog's hearts, bull's rectum, cow stomach, poached calf brain, and numerous live bugs. Now thatttt has to be one bad tasting fruit!
ReplyDeleteFUN!!! Glad I read your blog so I could hear the details! :)
ReplyDelete